“Short films are not inferior, just different. They often contain an originality, a creative freedom, an energy and an invention that is inspiring and entertaining.”
BETWEEN 15 AND 30 SHORT FILM PROJECTS CAN BE SELECTED EACH YEAR, DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF APPLICANTS IN EACH APPLICATION CYCLE AS DETERMINED BY OUR SUPERVISORY BOARD.
How the FILM FUND works for Short Films?
Whether you have a short-form script seeking production finance or just a story that has been burning inside of you, we want to consider it for our film fund.
With the rise in demand for high quality short content across new platforms and devices, and the increased industry importance placed on short filmmaking worldwide, we’re honoring the art of narrative short-form screenwriting as well as short-form documentary content.
The focus of developing short scripts is to get them produced in order to highlight the writer’s skill. The short film is considered a stepping stone to making a feature. It builds your portfolio; it showcases your style, and supercharges your career.
The Write Project is offering production funding twice per year to talented filmmakers for short films that display originality, vision and exceptional potential.
Production funding for short films will vary from R200,000 to R500,000 depending on the scale and merit of each project as determined by our Expert Committee of industry professionals. This includes creative development from The Write Project team and production guidance and resources from associated partners.
Applicants have three ways to submit a short-form project:
- A Script — Submit a stand-alone SHORT script (maximum of 35 pages in length) for consideration.
- A Synopsis — Submit a one page document that briefly expresses your vision for your project, followed by a short synopsis between 300 to 350 words. Successful applicants will be offered the opportunity to develop a script for production in consultation with our creative team. This category will ensure that each participant has a completed film that will form part of their portfolio in the future.
- A Treatment — this is only applicable for documentary short subjects. A PDF with links to footage, or any other pitch document that shows the project’s potential.
|Application Fees & Deadlines|
|Application Deadlines||Regular: 31 March 2021||Final: 15 April 2021|
|Application Fees & Deadlines|
|Regular: 31 March 2021
|Final: 15 April 2021
Ready to be a part of The Write Project?
We’re looking forward to reviewing your application. Rules and eligibility apply.
• The two application periods for the following 12 months are as follows —
• 2020 Funding Cycle: Closed for submissions.
• Summer 2021 Funding Cycle opening February 1st, with a regular deadline of March 31st, and a final deadline of April 15th.
• Funding will range in size from R200, 000 per short-from project. Funding amount will be determined by the Supervisory Board.
• Applications are accepted via electronic submission only.
• Application fee for each project is R300 before the regular deadline of each cycle, and then R400 until the final deadline of each cycle.
• Application must include a screenplay or a synopsis or a treatment in the case of a documentary short.
• There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
• Applications must be received on or before the deadlines and application fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission.
• All submissions are final and application fees are non-refundable.
• All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s). Plagiarism is a very serious offence.
• Material must be submitted by the author or owner of the material. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, but all writers must be credited on title page.
• Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed. Please proofread your script very carefully before submitting.
• Contact info may be included on the cover page of the screenplay, however it is not required.
• We welcome applications from South African residents only.
• Only complete short-form scripts in English will be accepted. Vernacular languages such as Xhosa, Zulu and Afrikaans are also eligible if subtitles are provided.
• Short-from synopsis’ and treatments must be in English only.
• The short-form project is open to all writers over the age of 16 years old.
• All material submitted to other competitions and/or grant programmes are eligible for submission.
• There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
• Material should be submitted in standard screenplay format, font, spacing and margin.
• We have no preferences regarding title page content. Title and name of writer would suffice.
• Adaptations are eligible, as long as the underlying rights are owned by the writer or director or the work is in the public domain.
• Scripts must be in generally accepted industry-standard formatting as a PDF file. Any popular software may be used for formatting, such as Final Draft, Celtx, WriterDuet or Fade In.
• All material must be submitted electronically as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
Project selection is twice per year based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) story structure; (iii) characterisation; (iv) visual inventiveness; and (v) overall viability for world-class film festivals and/or online distribution. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the Supervisory Board’s verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of the Supervisory Board. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.