“One of the amazing things about documentary is that you can remake it every time you make one. There is no rule about how a documentary film has to be made.”
MULTIPLE DOCUMENTARY FILM & TV PROJECTS CAN BE SELECTED EACH YEAR, DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF APPLICANTS IN EACH APPLICATION CYCLE AS DETERMINED BY OUR SUPERVISORY BOARD.
How the FILM FUND works for Documentary Films & Series?
Whether you have a stand-alone documentary script or a fully packaged documentary television project seeking production finance, we want to consider it for our film fund.
If your aspirations are solely to become a produced screenwriter, you can rely on The Write Project to package your script with a talented director and in-house production resources with cash financing, judged on a case-by-case basis, depending on each project’s budget and needs as determined by our Expert Committee of industry professionals.
The Write Project is offering production funding twice per year to talented filmmakers for documentary features and limited documentary series that display originality, vision and exceptional potential.
Production funding for documentary films & series will vary from R3,000,000 to R10,000,000 depending on the scale and merit of each project. This includes creative development from The Write Project team and production guidance and resources from associated partners.
To apply, there are two documents required:
- A Script — this doesn’t have to be a completed screenplay when you’re applying for a documentary film or series. It can be a treatment, a PDF with links to footage, or any other pitch document that shows the project’s potential.
- A Cover Letter — A one page letter that expresses your vision for your project. Help the Expert Committee get a sense of your creative vision and professional experience.
Optionally, you can include a PDF document that includes any other information that gives a better sense of your documentary project.
|Application Fees & Deadlines|
|Application Deadlines||Regular: 15 September 2020||Final: 31 October 2020|
|Application Fees & Deadlines|
|Regular: 15 September 2020
|Final: 31 October 2020
Ready to be a part of The Write Project?
We’re looking forward to reviewing your application. Rules and eligibility apply.
• The two application periods for the following 12 months are as follows —
• Winter 2020 Funding Cycle opening July 1st, with a regular deadline of September 15th, and a final deadline of October 31st.
• Summer 2021 Funding Cycle opening February 1st, with a regular deadline of April 15th, and a final deadline of May 31st.
• Funding will range in size from R3, 000, 000 per documentary feature and/or series. Funding amount will be determined by the Supervisory Board.
• Applications are accepted via electronic submission only.
• Application fee for each project is R400 before the regular deadline of each cycle, and then R600 until the final deadline of each cycle.
• Application must include a screenplay or a treatment and a cover letter from the writer or director.
• There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
• Applications must be received on or before the deadlines and application fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission.
• All submissions are final and application fees are non-refundable.
• All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s). Plagiarism is a very serious offence.
• Material must be submitted by the author or owner of the material. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, but all writers must be credited on title page.
• Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed. Please proofread your script very carefully before submitting.
• Contact info may be included on the cover page of the screenplay, however it is not required.
• We welcome applications from South African residents only.
• Only complete documentary scripts in English will be accepted.
• The project is open to all writers over the age of 18 years old.
• All material submitted to other competitions and/or grant programmes are eligible for submission.
• There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
• Material should be submitted in standard screenplay format, font, spacing and margin.
• We have no preferences regarding title page content. Title and name of writer would suffice.
• Adaptations are eligible, as long as the underlying rights are owned by the writer or director or the work is in the public domain.
• Scripts must be in generally accepted industry-standard formatting as a PDF file. Any popular software may be used for formatting, such as Final Draft, Celtx, WriterDuet or Fade In.
• All material must be submitted electronically as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
Project selection is twice per year based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) story structure; (iii) characterisation; (iv) visual inventiveness; and (v) overall viability for world-class film festivals and/or online distribution. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the Supervisory Board’s verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of the Supervisory Board. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.